LIFEguardianship is a program of The Arc of NC designed to help advocate for and protect the health and safety of individuals to ensure that their civil and human rights are not violated.
When there is no family member or other individual able or willing to advocate for you, we step in to ensure you have quality supports and services to allow you to succeed in your community.
Alternatives to guardianship should be pursued before the beginning of guardianship of the person, of the estate, or both. Alternatives include:
• Power of Attorney
• Durable Power of Attorney
• Health Care Power of Attorney
• Declaration Regarding Natural Death (DNR or Living Will)
• Advance Instruction for Mental Health (AIMHT)
• Social, Habilitation, Case Management and Advocacy Supports
• Circle of Friends
• Representative Payee for Social Security and other pensions/benefits; and/or Trust.
LIFEguardianship supports and services is provided only when other alternatives have been exhausted and are deemed unsuitable. Advocacy and support is provided primarily to adults, age18 and up, who have a developmental disability, chronic and persistent mental illness, the elderly, and/or substance abusers. Children may also be referred and considered for support.
Find out more by calling The Arc of NC’s toll free number: 800-662-8706